Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas Dinner 2010

Happy New Year!!!!
One of the biggest changes I made last year was that I became a vegan.  It is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.  I am happier, lighter, a faster runner and eating the most delicious food ever!
I do quite a bit of research online and through cookbooks for recipes.  Some I do not change, but a lot of times I take several different recipes, make my own changes and come up with my own.
My husband has not fully converted, but we still had a vegan Christmas dinner!! I was so happy!!
So throughout this year I would like to share some of my recipes with you from time to time.  I will still be blogging about my jewelry and quilts, but wanted to share this side of my life with you also.
Here was Christmas dinner:
I did a lentil-nut loaf that was wrapped in pastry (a take on wellington), mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes & green bean casserole....all vegan :)
Below is the loaf before I sliced and served it.
I am going to share the lentil-nut loaf recipe with you below.
My cousin, Tara, did a vegan banana cream pie with was OVER THE TOP!!!
I hope I can inspire you to try some of these recipes.
Lentil-Nut Loaf
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked lentils (i have also substituted 1 can of  black eyed peas, rinsed and drained)
1 cup uncooked instant oats
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts (or other nuts you have on hand) finely chopped
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup black olives, finely chopped
3 tablespoons tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons of mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
salt and pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl mix all the ingredients together until mixed well.
If you are going to roll it in pastry, form into a log and wrap in pastry.  Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
If you want to make a traditional loaf, then lightly oil a loaf pan.  Press mixture into loaf pan pressing out any air pockets.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, covered for the loaf.  Then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
For the wellington style loaf bake until the pastry is a nice golden brown. This was about 80 minutes, but check it after 45 minutes.
Allow both to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and then carefully slice.
ENJOY!

2 comments:

Amy F said...

that looks delish. what do you use for a vegan pastry?

Nancy said...

Good for you. And thanks for taking the time to share recipes. I'm interested in eating meals like this, but never know quite where to begin finding recipes with accessible ingredients. This looks like a satisfying meal.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails